You are currently viewing Accidents happen, what to do.

Accidents happen, what to do.

Accidents Happen

As much as we hate to assume the worst, planning for accidents and emergencies should be on your to-do list before visiting a new place. Here are some helpful things to know before embarking on your Japanese adventure! 


If you find yourself in an accident the first thing you should do is call the police. There are actually several emergency numbers in Japan. The first number to reach them at is 110. The second thing you should do is call your insurance provider and file a report. Once the police officer has arrived to the scene, they will ask you for your driver’s license, passport and visa, your insurance, and a form called shaken that shows that the vehicle has passed the mandatory safety inspection. 


The most important information to know in the case of an emergency is the numbers to call. For police, the number is 110. For fire and ambulance, the number is 119. There is also a way to get English assistance by dialing #9110. Adding these numbers into your contacts, or memorizing them, can be really useful.

Tyson from Dream Drive has put together a nifty video guide for you here:


Avid camper, family of 5, long term resident of Japan and founder of Dream Drive