Frequently Asked Questions

How many people can fit in Dream Drive vans?

  • The KAGO a compact campervan that’s easy to drive and sleeps up to 2 adults.
  • The TAMA sleeps up to 2 adults and 2 small children and is perfect those looking for extra space.

How do I check prices, availability, and book a campervan?

Checking prices and availability
To check prices and availability,  you can do so yourself by visiting our campervan bookings pages or by contacting us here to inquiry about availability.  

To book simply hit the orange “Book Now” button and follow the steps to complete your booking and payment. 

What’s included in the campervan rental?

Depending on the campervan what’s included may vary, but the follow are included in all campervan rentals:

  • Campervan
  • Unlimited mileage
  • Vehicle support 24/7 roadside assistance
  • Offset of all carbon emissions
  • Hotel grade white linens (pillows, duvet, sheet. etc) and foam mattress
  • Mug, plate, and bowl (1 per guest)
  • Cutlery set (fork, knife, spoon) (1 per guest)
  • Portable propane stove
  • Small Kettle
  • Small folding table (20cm x 50cm)
  • Folding outdoor chair (1 per guest)
  • Sub battery system for charging phones etc. 
  • Towel (1 per guest)
  • Window curtains / covers for privacy

What time should I return the campervan?

Please return the campervan to the Dream Drive Tokyo Depot.
Our address is: 1 Chome-8-8 Iwadominami, Komae, Tokyo 201-0005

Regular drop off return time: by 12pm noon
Late drop off return time: before 6pm (¥6,600)


Each vehicle has third party insurance which covers as below.

  • Bodily Injury/ Death (up to 30,000,000 per passenger)
  • Property Damage (Unlimited per occurrence (Deductible: 100,000 YEN))
  • Rented Vehicle (Up to market value per occurrence (Deductible: 100,000YEN))
  • 24/7 Roadside Services

What’s is the cancellation / refund policy?

Campervan bookings are typically made a few weeks or even months in advance, so cancellations near the rental date of pick up are difficult to rebook last minute.

60days + 100% refund (**minus processing fee)

Up to 60 days prior to rental day 85% refund (**minus processing fee) 

Cancellation of 30 days prior to rental date – 50% refund  (**minus processing fee) 

Up to 7 days  prior to the date of rental –  25% Refund  (**minus processing fee) 

48 hours before the date rental – No refund available
**All cancellations requests should be submitted before 6pm JPST

Can I rent extra items?

  • We also have some amazing optional extras (some of which are free) available for guests to rent such as Weber grills, child seats, etc

    Click here to see some reference photos and to find out more. Optional Extras

      • Bike Rack (holds up to 2x bicycles) – (2,200yen/night) **limited availability
      • Child Seat(s) / booster – (2,200yen/night) **limited availability
      • Swag tent with foam mattress (sleeps 2x adults) – (4,400yen/night) **limited availability
      • Portable Shower (550yen/night) **limited availability
      • Fire Pit (1100yen/night) – (Many campsites require fires be in a contained metal firepit) 
      • Firewood (880yen/bundle)
      • Regular Butane Can (330yen/can)
      • LED Lamp (550yen/night) **limited availability
      • Early check-in from 10am (4400yen)
      • Late check-out before 6pm (6600yen)
      • **Small dogs in select vans (8800yen)
      • Please contact us with any requests

Where can I park the campervan overnight?

Roadside stations (Michi-no-eki) 道の駅

Michi-no-eki are parking and resting facilities usually equipped with large free parking areas and clean restrooms, available for 24 hours. There are over 1,000 roadside stations spread throughout Japan. During the day, you can usually purchase local food and souvenirs, and get useful information about the area. Some facilities have hot spring baths and other services. Parking and sleeping at Michi-no-eki is usually okay but the general rule is one night only. You can not take out a table or a chair from your camper and use them. Use of fire such as gas stove and BBQ in the parking lot is generally prohibited. Please observe the rules and good manners when using roadside station facilities.

Auto camping and camp sites
There are more than 1,000 auto camp sites throughout Japan. Please note that many camp sites require booking in advance especially during national holidays and long weekends in the summer.

RV Park / Yu You Park / Gourmet Park
‘RV park’ is a charged parking area complete with 24-hour restrooms as well as power supply, and designed for accommodating overnight stay in your camper. When using ‘Yu You Park’, you can park your camper and stay there overnight in the parking lot of a partner hot spring facility which offers use of their hot spring baths. When using ‘Gourmet park’, you can park your camper and stay there overnight in the parking lot of a partner restaurant if you eat there.

Service Area / Parking Area
Service areas and parking areas on expressways are facilities to take a rest and are usually equipped with beverage vending machines and clean restrooms that are available 24 hours a day. Service areas are often also equipped with gas stations and restaurants. You may take a nap, but generally you should not use the facility for overnight stay. You can not take out a table or a chair from your camper and use them. Use of stove or BBQ in the parking lot is prohibited. Please observe the rules and good manners when using service and parking areas.

Nature Parking / Wild Camping 
There are free nature spots and free camps sites spread all over Japan for you to discover. Legally you can generally park and sleep just about anywhere. However, parking in busy city areas you may be considered a public nuisance and asked to move on. The basic rule is if you see other people doing it, it is probably okay.

Where do I pick up my campervan? Is a delivery service available?  

To pick-up your campervan  please go to the Dream Drive Tokyo Depot:
Our address is 1 Chome-8-8 Iwadominami, Komae, Tokyo 201-0005

Regular pick up time: from 3pm
Early pick up time: from 10am (¥4,400)

There is no delivery service currently available.

I want to book but where I we go?

Don’t worry we’ve got you covered. If you haven’t already, head over to our “Routes, Guides, and Tips.” We regularly create and add new itineraries, recommended destinations, and driving routes. After receiving bookings we also share our ever growing Dream Drive map of spots. 

Can we bring our pet?

We are currently trialing allowing dogs in select campervans for ¥8800yen. All dogs must be safely kept in a protective cage while driving. Please contact us with any questions. 

Does my child need a childseat? Does my campervan have isofix?

All children under the age of 6 are legally required to use a childseat or booster seat.

We do have ISOFIX brackets that can be installed in select campervans, if needed for your childseat, but please kindly confirm this before your trip. 

Most of our Kuma model campervans have two 3-point passenger seat belts one in the front passenger seat and one in rear as well as two lapbelts.

In our Kuma campervans if you are bringing more than one child seat please make sure that your childseat works with 2 point lapbelts or ISOFIX and kindly let us know that ISOFIX is bracket installation is needed. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us. 

What are driving rules in Japan?​

Most driving rules in Japan are fairly consistent with driving rules found in most western countries. With that said the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) does a great job answering this here.  Click here to visit the JAF website for a well-rounded overview of rules and driving information. 

What are drivers license requirements to rent a vehicle in Japan?​

If you reside in Japan or have stayed in Japan for over a year are required to have a valid Japanese drivers license or SOFA license. 

Foreign visitors can rent a vehicle and drive in Japan with a valid drivers license accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP) for up to one year from the date of entry into Japan.

International Driving Permits for foreign visitors are not issued in Japan and must be obtained in your home country prior to coming to Japan.  IDP’s are generally issued through your country’s national automobile association for a small fee. 

Japan recognises International Driving Permits based on the 1949 Geneva Road Convention.  Nationals with valid driver’s licenses from the following countries are able to drive in Japan with a valid International Driving Permit, but required materials will vary depending on your country or origin:

Argentina, Barbados,  Canada, Chile, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Paraguay, Peru, Republic of Dominica, Trinidad and Tobago, United Sates of America, Venezuela

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, Vatican City

Africa/Middle East:
Algeria, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Israel, Jordan, Kingdom of Lesotho, Lebanon, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Republic of South Africa, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Zimbabwe

Asia / Oceania:
Australia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Fiji, Hong Kong, Macau, India, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand 

Taiwan, Belgium, France, Germany, Monaco, Slovenia, and Switzerland have a separate agreement that allows drivers from these countries to drive in Japan for up to one year with an official Japanese translation of their driver’s license. Translations can be obtained from your country embassy or consulate and in Japan or from the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF). Please contact us with atleast 2-3 weeks in advance if you need help with translation. 

For more information regarding valid driver’s licenses in Japan please refer to the JAF website here